16 December 2010

A Duzer of a wine

Van Duzer 1999 Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley) – There was a time when I quite liked this house. And then there was a time where everything they made seemed wretched. This was from the first era, and though it has mostly clung and lingered rather than blossomed, it’s still not bad. A fair bit more menthololic and herbal than pinot noir of only eleven years should be, with all the stripped-down structure but few of the developed berry-leaf aromatics that one expects. Still, it’s pretty enough, in an overly freckled sort of way. Drink up, and soon. (10/10)

2 comments:

Jerry D. Murray said...

Thor,

I have a couple of comments regarding this post.

First I would like to point out that Van Duzer is undergoing some significant changes. I took over as winemaker in June of 2010 and along with ownership have recommitted Van Duzer to being a top quality producer in the Willamette Valley. Our efforts in both the vineyard and winery have had a clear impact; both the 2009, and more clearly, the 2010 vintages will be wines that I hope not only deliver on the promise of the bygone era you elude to but greatly exceed it. I do hope you will give us another chance.

Second; "overly freckled" will not, in the future, be a descriptor easily applied to the wines of Van Duzer. It will however be a most accurate descriptor of the winemaker.

Jerry D. Murray
Winemaker
Van Duzer Vineyards

thor iverson said...

Jerry, thanks for your response. I wish you success, and will definitely try to visit the next time I'm in the Willamette.